Friday, September 22, 2023
HomeUKUK NewsBotulism outbreak at French restaurant - British diners urged to contact emergency...

Botulism outbreak at French restaurant – British diners urged to contact emergency services

UK health authorities are urgently asking anyone who dined at a restaurant in France to contact emergency services after an outbreak of botulism.One person have died and eight others have been taken to hospital – all linked to the Tchin Tchin Wine Bar in Bordeaux.
It’s believed the diners affected, some of whom have been confirmed as Irish citizens, had eaten sardines between 4 and 10 September.Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the nervous system.The UK Health Security Agency stressed that the illness does not spread from person to person – and there is no risk to the general population.
Only people who ate sardines at the restaurant during that time could be affected.It usually takes 12 to 36 hours for the symptoms of botulism to show.Symptoms often begin with blurred vision and difficulty in swallowing and speaking, but sometimes diarrhoea and vomiting can also occur.
The disease can lead to problems with vision and paralysis – and can also be fatal in 5% to 10% of cases.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments